Sunday, March 9, 2008

To school or not to school

I had an interesting discussion with my friends today. It was about formal schooling, and how we felt about it. I am glad that the discussion is still theoretical for me - it will be a few years before N is of school going age.

I'm one of those - topper through school type of person. The one who knew all the right answers to the questions the teachers asked. The one who got the highest marks, and the best grades. And today, I am a big sceptic of the formal school system.

I guess the question is: What does formal schooling contribute to a child's development? Does it help him or her somehow be better equipped for the world?

I would argue not. The biggest problem I have with school system is this: It leads kids to believe that the world is black and white, that everything has a right answer and just knowing that right answer is the key to everything. How deceitful that is!! Instead of teaching our kids good judgement, values and developing their individual personality, we teach them facts. Facts that we tell them are irrefutable..

Is that what I want N to learn? I think not.. to be continued..

4 comments:

lost on the street said...

have to say i had the feeling this was coming.Worry not.I will fill her in on the 'non-academic' real stuff, where things are anything but black and white!

Swati said...

Good thought ...waiting to read more on this

notunma said...

Lost on the street - tell me why you had the feeling this was coming.. curious..

lost on the street said...

for that u have to read my blog ;-) otherwise remember that chat we had?